• Recent Forum Posts

storm

Any Adam Clayton bassists in western Canada for some shows?

Any US based bassists up for travelling north for a show June 14th? You do NOT need a visa to do one show, so that's an advantage. Our current bassist

storm 03-20-2024, 09:44 PM Go to last post
    storm

So what now? 40 - Final Sphere show

Cool thanks. Maybe I can master a better version of it. It was the best concert I have ever seen and so sad that moment won't be replicatable. I did go

storm 03-20-2024, 09:41 PM Go to last post
  • Michael

by Published on 01-01-2012 08:44 PM

Is mastering music and languages just for the young? Not if you know how to teach older brains

By GARY MARCUS

Can old dogs learn new tricks? Developmental psychologists have long said no. The so-called "critical periods" theory of learning says that if you want to learn something, start early in life. If that were true, there would be little point in adults trying to acquire new skills—and truckloads
    by Published on 11-20-2011 11:33 PM

Here is an Excel file that compiles Edge's effect settings from the Vertigo tour. This was compiled and contributed by Paul Kultschar.

Vertigo Tour Complete Settings.xls
    by Published on 11-15-2011 02:44 AM

Here is a list of helpful websites. Please feel free to leave a comment with other helpful resources. Your comments should include a short description and link to the resource. Please don't post off topic comments or links here. Thx!

YouTube Tutorials Video Tutorials:
    www.youtube.com/u2guitartutorials or www.u2guitartutorials.com

SoundCloud Group:
    http://soundcloud.com/groups/u2-guitar-tutorials
    by Published on 11-14-2011 01:11 PM

We thank everyone for participating in this growing community. In order to keep the forums running well and to prevent problems, please follow these simple rules. If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to contact one of the Staff Members.

Forum Basics

Please keep your questions and comments focused on learning how to play U2 songs and/or related gear and settings. More importantly, this is a place where all new members and beginners should be comfortable asking basic questions and posting recordings and videos. Please be polite in your replies and tone, but do not hesitate to provide constructive feedback. This forum is intended to promote an educational group experience.

Forum Content

All posts (questions and comments) should relate to learning how to play U2 songs and/or related gear and settings. Specifically:

• How to play U2 songs on guitar (e.g. notes, tabs, videos, clips, etc.). It is ok to start threads to discuss other instruments.
    • How to get the Edge's tones (e.g. which guitars, gear, signal path, settings/parameters, etc.).
    • How to record video and audio clips (e.g. equipment, set-up, etc.) - this is related to getting U2 tone.
    Before posting, ask yourself, "Is this really relevant to helping others learn how to play a song or get a certain tone?" Off topic posts make it difficult to find and follow other relevant information. Please use "Edge's Cafe" to participate in off topic discussions (e.g., concerts/tickets, movies, Bono's other interests, U2's history, which songs you like / dislike, etc.). The administrators reserve the right to remove or lock any threads at any time without notice.

Forum Etiquette

• Please be respectful of others.
    • Be open minded and constructive, as there are many ways to play a song or get a certain tone.
    • The forum is meant to be educational. Keep in mind that experts and beginners are participating.
    • Please be professional, courteous and thoughtful when posting on the message boards.
    • Do not poke fun at anyone's clips or videos. Everyone deserves as chance to participate and learn.
    • If you don't like something, be constructive and make your point in a positive way. Provide feedback can help make everyone better guitar players.
    • Don't be afraid to provide constructive criticism, even if you are a beginner listening to a clip made by someone more experienced. It's very helpful to those that post a clip or video to get feedback because everyone hears different things and can provide different perspectives that make all of us better musicians.
    • Please don't be afraid to post a clip or video in the Showcase threads or on your blog. If we all follow the rules of the message board, everyone will feel comfortable posting and will benefit from the experience.
    • Finally, and most important, do not direct emotional, negative, rude or harsh comments toward any individual on the board. Do not use foul or inappropriate language. If you disagree with or get upset by a post, pause and take a deep breath, and email the person directly to work it out. It's very easy to "read into" emails and misinterpret the tone or context of a message. Electronic messages and threads can be very dangerous and come across, for example, as malicious or defensive. Please don't over react.
    • Some members may not speak English as their first language, so be mindful of how you interpret them. Often an email written in broken English can come across as overly direct when all the person is trying to do is communicate in a second language.
    • Sarcasm rarely translates well over text and across cultures and languages. Please consider this when posting.
    • Use smiley faces and other icons so that others don't misinterpret your message.
    • While debating and discussion is encouraged, we will not tolerate rudeness, profanity (or attempts to bypass profanity filters), insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
    by Published on 11-12-2011 11:42 PM

Hello U2 Fans!

Welcome to the new U2 Guitar Tutorials forum! This group is dedicated to those interested in learning how to play U2 songs on guitar and understanding how to get the Edge's tone with various types of digital and analog effect pedals and processors.

U2GuitarTutorials on YouTube was launched in November 2008. As I become involved in various U2 communities, I started to think of ways to improve the learning experience. In 2009 I was contacted by David Nia, a web developer and subscriber of U2GuitarTutorials on YouTube. David graciously offered to build the U2 Guitar Tutorials web site which was launched on January 1, 2010. Tim Hines offered to help build this forum in 2011 and we embarked on building what we hope will be a feature-rich community for those learning U2 songs.

Note that this is not only a forum, but a content management system and blogging site. Each member can create and maintain their own blog page, and content can be cross promoted and shared. I think you will find this to be an more productive and engaging platform.

You can also subscribe to my YouTube channel (U2GuitarTutorials on YouTube). If you have any suggestions, comments or questions, please post on this thread:
    Suggestions & Feedback.

Tim, David and I have invested a lot of time designing and maintaining this forum. We will be making changes as we receive feedback.

Thank you for your support. Enjoy the forum.

Michael
    U2GT Founder
    Published on 11-06-2009 06:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. Tabs

Guitars, amps, FX - they're all here!
    By Joe Bosso, Wed 14 Oct 2009, 12:42 pm UTC

LINK: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...evealed-223342

U2's 360° Tour
    is a massive operation alright, and it wouldn't be an understatement to call it The Greatest Show On Earth - or anywhere else for that matter.

Named after a stage configuration called The Claw - a towering, robotic-looking structure said to be the largest (and costliest) concert setting in rock 'n' roll history, one that offers stadium audiences a panoramic view of the band - it's a long way from "three chords and the truth."
    It's five hours before showtime inside the vast Giants Stadium. The field and seats of the 80,000 capacity venue are empty, but I'm suddenly jolted by an overwhelming blast of music produced by three musicians on stage who proceed to pump out the second-best version of City Of Blinding Lights I've ever heard.
    Were they The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr, they might take their rendition all the way home, but the trio I'm listening to are their techs, Dallas Schoo, Stuart Morgan and Sam O' Sullivan, respectively.
    Still, it's uncanny how much they sound like their bosses. Schoo switches guitars and tweaks some settings on Edge's pedalboard. A few more guitar changes - a Rickenbacker, a Music Rising Les Paul, a black Stratocaster - and song snatches follow (bits of Ticket To Ride, The Rolling Stones' Angie and - WTF? - Stairway To Heaven).